Thursday, June 21, 2012

WEEK 1: Paint / History


The formal definition of "paint" given in the "Modern Marvels" episode is: "a pigmented liquid that dries to form a solid protective film". Paint is made up of three important components: resin, pigment, and solvent. Each of these three components has a function. Here's a description of each component and their function:

  1. Resin - can be acrylic polymers or linseed oil, among many other things. Resin's function is to be the "binder" or the glue that holds the paint together. 
  2. Pigment - pigment is the coloring of the paint. It can be ground up minerals or organic. 
  3. Solvent - the solvent helps the paint flow and smooth itself out. A solvent can be something as simple as water. 

Paint was not always this formulated and scientific. The evolution of paint has had many milestones. One of the most significant evolutions in paint was when specific new binders began to be used. Egg yolk was used in tempera paint as a binder and later linseed oil was discovered. I think these are significant events in the evolution of paint because they not only visually changed the makeup of paint, they also changed how paint would stand up against the test of time. Also, linseed oil as a binder was used to create oil paintings, which in my opinion makes up some of the best art in history. 



While paint is used in many different settings, paintings seem to be the most visually stunning. These visual representations of an artists' message have been around for thousands of years. Art is an important part of human history and that is why it is necessary for paintings to survive for both 500 and 30,000 years. Our art helps tell our story without using language. People who speak a different language can look at artwork and still understand the artists' message. Art is a visual history of mankind, and it is important for it to survive the trials of time.


Question: Which kind of paint do you prefer? Watercolors? Tempera? Oil Paint? 

2 comments:

  1. I think you chose a great selection of pictures to display with each response. It is nice to see the componets of paint, while looking at the description. If I hadn't watched the documentary, I would clearly understand each element. Again, you added your opinion when telling us about the revolution of paint. I keep mentioning this fact because it is very easy for someone to answer a question, but adding your on opinion makes it unique. All of these elements attacted me to your posts.

    Looking at this question, I laughed because I am no expert on paint and barely know the difference between the two. Luckily, I have google and bing. Anyway, I prefer watercolor paintings because they are more aesteically pleasing to my eyes. You also do not have to add much to it, but water. This type of paint is very easy to work with and produces very bright and vivid paintings. It makes the objects in the painting look so real. To me, it reels me in all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the pictures you used and your answers were very good and accurate. I agree with Parrish as well, the use of opinions does make your blog a lot better. I like that I can hear what you have to say as well as the correct answer. Very good job for your first one.

    I prefer oil paint simply because I think it gives off bolder colors. I like that it is somewhat of a challenge to work with as well. I remember in my high school art class, we would always make the most mess with oil paints. I give a lot of credit to the artists that can paint precisely with oil paints. It is very difficult and one of the reasons it is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete