Saturday, August 4, 2012

FILM 19 : BASQUIAT


What is it about Basquait’s work that draws you in?
In my eyes, Basquait’s work is unlike anything I have ever seen. It is extraordinarily interesting. There is so much for a viewer to look at and try to understand.  The kind of lines Basquait uses are almost childlike but at the same time extremely skillful. I love that he incorporated words into his art as well.


Basquait says that he can’t really explain his art. Why do you think this is?
I think that Basquait can’t explain his art because there are so many individual ideas within each painting. It is stated that his apartment floor was littered with unfinished or partially finished work all the time and that he would randomly add things to each page. He would even walk all over it. I feel like for Basquait, sometimes the art was an outlet more than a statement.


Basquait said that minimalism and conceptualism alienated people from art. Do you agree? Why?
Yes, I agree with Basquait when he said that this kind of art alienated people from art. Minimalist and conceptualist artists did not give people enough to work with when creating their art. A blank canvas or a single line does not leave much for interpretation. People like looking and things and piecing them together to understand what the artist is saying. When it is too simple, it breaks the connection between some people and the art.


Question: Why do you think Basquait is considered a “radiant child”?

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the questions you asked and we have very similar thoughts about Basquiat. Your questions made me think and also want to learn more about him. You did a really good job here.

    I think Basquiat is considered a "radiant child" because he was so unique. He stood out from a lot of the typical artists of this time. When I think of him I think of individuality and this could also be described as "radiant." He was not afraid to be himself and because, like you said, his artwork was unlike anything we have ever seen before, it made him an extremely unique individual. Which is why I think he was referred to as the "radiant child."

    ReplyDelete